[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Feb 20 00:26:59 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 12:59 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Here's how I think this all should work:
>
> - classes of any implementation language are treated the same
> (i.e. .pd_linux, .pd, .pdlua, etc).
> 	- single library format for all implementation methods
> 	- possibility for shared code for objectclasses in library
> 	- check for objectclasses in paths in same order for any
> implementation method
> 	- one objectclass per file
> 	- help patch in same folder as objectclass file
>
> - search "." first, then canvas-local paths, then global paths
>
> - search using registered loaders (i.e. implementation langauges) one
> dir at a time:
> 	- first search "." for .pd .pd_linux .pdlua etc.
> 	- then search first dir in canvas-local path for .pd .pd_linux .pdlua
> etc.
> 	- then search second dir in canvas-local path
> for .pd .pd_linux .pdlua etc.
> 	- ...
> 	- then search first dir in global path for .pd .pd_linux .pdlua etc.
> 	- then search second dir in global path for .pd .pd_linux .pdlua etc.
> 	- ...
>
> - the loaded class names should follow the above rules of loading
> classes
>
> - namespace prefixes stay as part of classname and do not load basename
> 	- i.e. [cyclone/pow~] does not claim the name [pow~]

i rather don't want this to drip away into the deep ocean of pd list
discussions.

this sounds very reasonable to me and (please correct me) it would
address most problems, that are currently in discussion.  i kind of feel
to be the wrong person to say that, since i haven't contributed
code-wise to all those ideas, but i think it would be good to stick that
on a wikipage (dev section on puredata.info?), if people agree on those
'guidelines'.

i hope to see more comments on this....

roman