[PD-dev] pbank in build/src (aka "flatspace")

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 24 01:00:17 CET 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 6:05 AM, cyrille henry wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>> Hey Cyrille,
>> I just noticed that you added pbank.c to the flatspace library.
>> That  whole 'flatspace' thing is kludge,
> i know, but there is no better solution yet.
>> and should be deprecated, IMHO and  just left alone.  So I think
>> that it would be best to remove externals/ build/src/pbank.c.
> where would it go?
>

>> For new externals, I think they should first be distributed outside
>> of  Pd-extended until they are stable,
> pbank is stable.
> it was distributed by zack settle in the jimmies for years, and i
> use it since 2002 or 2003.
>> then things they can be included as  libraries.
> what lib?
>
> when pd-extended or the cvs will be ordered to have directory
> like : /math
> /audio/math
> /audio/effect
> /save
> /matrix
>
> etc, then pbank and other externals would fit there.
> but now it's just an ugly mess. i don't think pbank add much to this
> mess.
>
> i personally think it's time to start an other svn for pd-
> extendedV2, create a good structure, and copy code from 1st svn to
> the 2nd, without ordering by developer, but by functionality.
> that's the best way to move i see, but of course that will create
> endless flame-war on the list.

I agree here, and that is the direction I am working towards with any
Pd code I work on.  But for pbank, how about just compiling it and
releasing it on its own?

Or there is already a 'nusmuk' library in Pd-extended, with only
abstractions.  How about moving abstractions/nusmuk to externals/
nusmuk, then including pbank in there?

.hc