[PD-dev] Proposals for object categories

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Feb 25 20:47:26 CET 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,

>> I think you outlined the argument against this proposal with your
>> zexy
>> example.  It doesn't sound like a real solution if you include one
>> version of list-drip in the list-abs library because of technical
>> restrictions, but then you use a different version because it works
>> better.
>
> Both [list-drip] objects from a user perspective work exactly the
> same, only that one is faster.  If you encounter a patch that uses
> [list-drip] it's much better to have a slow [list-drip] than no
> [list-drip] at all.
>
> On some platforms not every external etc. is available.  E.g. zexy is
> not available in RjDj's Pd or in a plain vanilla install so you cannot
> use [drip]. [list-drip] however can just be dropped into your working
> directory and you can use it.
>
> Abstractions and Pd builtins work everywhere, so they are the common
> denominator.

I am bummed that we have to even discuss Apple's anti-free-software
tactics in relation to the design of Pd.  The only reason why you
can't include externals as libdirs on the official iPhone is because
of Apple's ridiculous restrictions that are in place solely for the
purpose of making the Apple iTunes Store a monopoly.  There are no
good reasons for those restrictions, unless you are an Apple
shareholder and you think profit trumps freedom.

That said, it would be possible to statically link in zexy to rjdj.
And if we make Pd load binary classes into a canvas-local namespace,
then all of the libraries in Pd-extended could be statically linked in.

How about rjdj for Android and OpenMoko, where there are no such
restrictions AFAIK?

.hc