[PD-dev] Proposals for object categories

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Feb 27 04:28:41 CET 2009

One thing I was thinking about recently is whether we need a hierarchy
of classes.  In Object-Oriented Programming, there is hierarchy of
classes as part of the basis of the language.  There is no hierarchy
of classes in Pd so it seems to me that there should also be no
hierarchy in the namespaces (FYI: this is contrary to something I
proposed a while back).

Basically, I mean we should not have a library structure like this:

audio
audio/math
audio/filters
audio/oscillators
audio/oscillators/bwlimited

Instead, it would be a one level namespace, to keep things simple, so
maybe something like this:

audio
audiomath
filters
oscillators
bloscillators

Or even better, have more descriptive, fun and hopefuilly more
memorable names, like:
simpillators
blocycle

This isn't really a proposal of any kind, but more a discussion point.

.hc

On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:21 PM, marius schebella wrote:

> hi,
> I doubt that these categories will be as hierarchical and structured
> as
> proposed here.
> for example the pdp objects, gridflow and gem(pix and particle+related
> objects) are good examples for libraries.
> but zexy and cyclone are libraries where even after so many years I
> still don't know what some of the objects do or to which library they
> belong, so here the categorizations could make sense.
>
> still, I think this is much more important for documentation and
> pedagogical reasans than with relation to avoiding nameclashes or
> similar, because then we would still end up with two gate objects in
> the
> same categorization...
>
> btw I also care more about the functionality of an object than whether
> it is implemented as a C-external, an abstraction or a lua script. so
> again a good reference, documentation and communication of available
> object classes is what I think is missing most.
>
> marius.
>

> with some libraries this
>
> João Pais wrote:
>> just a couple fast general comments (must leave in 15m):
>>
>> - how about 3 (?) general categories, where everything else is
>> organised?
>> It might be easier to keep everything in mind.
>>   - glue/control
>>   - singal/audio
>>   - GUI
>> (probably there are more main categories?)
>>
>> - maybe it's time easier to make a puredata.org page for this? and
>> open it
>> to the main list?
>>
>> will try to give concrete comments later.

>>> i try to make some correction to add somes stuff...

>>> input
>>> 	keyboard/
>>> 	hid/
>>> network