[PD-dev] pd-ext documentation [was something else]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Feb 28 07:45:50 CET 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,

>>> I did this manually, a lot of copy and paste.
>>> and yes, there might be some duplicates and some unusual objects
>>> like
>>> all the gemgl objects are in the list...
>>
>> ah ah, and I thought I was the only crazy guy going through object
>> per
>> object and extract the information (see excel file). ok, maybe we
>> should
>> discuss a more serious way of automatising this.
>
> I've just added the system we use in the RjDj lib to [list]-abs as
> well. It's pretty simple, but cool: All objects are described in a
> textfile using this format:
>
> objectname - short object description in one line without commas
>
> In [list]-abs this file is called "list-abs-intro.txt". (It also
> allows lines consisting of just an integer number, which is used to
> optionally make room for larger GUI objects in the overview patch.)
>
> A helper file reads this list into a textfile and dynamically patches
> all referenced objects and descriptions into a subpatch. This patch is
> called "list-abs-intro.pd".

Sounds like a useful thing.  How about sticking this info into a
subpatch in the help patch?  They could easily be parsed with textfile
and route.  Then there is only one file per object to maintain.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman