[PD-dev] Proposals for object categories

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 3 05:01:52 CET 2009

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> BTW: That is (and already was in the discussion about it at pd~conv
> Montreal) my main problem with pdpedia: IMO a Pd doc wiki takes the
> reference documention too far away from the files.

I agree with that. I used to consider an HTML-based manual as the
reference documentation for my externals, but found out it's a real bad
idea. It's not just that moving info back and forth from two sets of
documentation is long and error-prone, it's also boring and it's something
nothing wants to do for free.

This means that unless there are special tools for feeding back info from
pdpedia, then pdpedia shouldn't be edited directly, and could even be
closed or turned into a bunch of static generated HTML without a CMS
behind it; and then all the effort should go towards improving how the
helpfiles are to be made and how they are to be interacted with.

(Well, it's also possible to just stop using help files, but 99% of the
users would hate it)