[PD-dev] Proposals for object categories

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Mar 3 18:12:36 CET 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 6:10 AM, João Pais wrote:

>> This would be a good place to start.  I think having a [pd META]
>> subpatch will make accurate parsing easier, and allow for other types
>> of meta data to be easily added.  That's what we did with the PDDP
>> reference patch.
>
> but in case the externals get organised through function (instead of
> author/lib folder), the meta patches won't make much sense. how
> about frank's (standard) idea of using the text files with short
> description? each author/lib could have his name on that file -
> jmmmp.txt, hid.txt, etc. Or adding a string, like lib-jmmmp.txt, lib-
> hid.txt, ...
>
> btw, I never noticed why the meta patches were there. are they
> already being used in any way, or that's a work in progress?

The [pd META] creates a single place to put the data in the help file,
which is already the central reference for each object.  Once the data
is parsed, then it can be used and organized in any structure, like
per-author, per-library, per-tag, per-function, etc.

>> As for tagging, as long as it is not too hard to add more tags later,
>> I think that we don't have to spend a ton of time trying to come up
>> with the perfect set of tags.
>

> I would add that in general the discussion is slowing up a bit (that
> might be the normal pace for mail discussions). How about putting a
> small page with the most relevant sugestions, in order to try to
> make a decision? Or leave it for the next time enough pd-people meet
> in the same room (with computers and no beer)?

I say make a "meta" wiki page on http://puredata.info/dev and start
adding info.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler