[PD-dev] symlinks render pdstring unbuildable on MinGW/Windows

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 4 05:37:40 CET 2009

Hey,

I was just trying to build string2any and friends on Windows for a
student, but the symlinks used in moocow are throwing a huge wrench in
the process.   They show up at .lnk files, and are not links at all.
That's because cygwin translates symlinks into Windows shortcuts,
aka .lnk.  So symlinks will never work on Windows.

Instead of using symlinks, the build system should just use the paths
to the shared files.  I don't know automake, but that is possible with
other build tools, so it seems likely to work there too.

scarcity."        -John Gilmore