[PD-dev] cyclone and uppercase

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Mar 11 12:25:35 CET 2009

João Pais wrote:
> another detail: while creating objects, line~ is different from Line~.
> but while searching for help, it isn't. maybe than's a bug? try with
> append / Append.

I think this is down to your operating system / file system not
distinguishing between line / Line / lInE / LINE / ...  so when Pd
searches for a help file, the operating system returns the first match
which might not be "sufficiently accurate".  It's likely in that
OS/filesystem that you cannot have line~-help.pd and Line~-help.pd in
the same directory, because they have "too-similar" names.

>>> Objection, judge! :)
>>>
>>> Some of the uppercase objects in Cyclone are there so the don't clash
>>> with
>>> builtins. Line~ is different from line~.
>>
>> and has been lengthily discussed on this list: aliasing will eventually
>> override already existing classes (including internals). so you get
>> cyclone's [Line~] when you really want [line~].

Yes, I second this - no more aliases, especially ones that don't add any
value!

>> fgkasdr
>> IOhannes

Claude