[PD-dev] [declare -distro vanilla]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 18 02:47:31 CET 2009

I was just thinking about loading libraries and namespaces.  One thing
that a lot of people want to do is have a default set of libraries
loaded so that they are already in the global namespace and don't need
declare/import or a namespace prefix.   If you think of the included
objectclasses and abstractions as objectclasses that are no different
than any other, then we have something like this for a list of
existing distros:

vanilla
pd-externals (Debian package)
pd-extended
pure:dyne? (does this load some libs by default?)
rjdj

Then there could be also something like a 'maxmsp' distro for a
compatibility mode.  So I was thinking there could be a "#X declare -
distro vanilla" that each distro saves into every file.  It would be
safely ignored for Pd versions that didn't support the -distro flag.
This distro flag would then setup the canvas-local namespace with the
libraries as they are loaded for that distro.

Just an idea that I wanted to through out there.

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams