[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2379781 ] selecting underneath

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 18 19:53:42 CET 2009

Bugs item #2379781, was opened at 2008-12-02 22:07
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sf-robot
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=2379781&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: pd-extended
Group: v0.41.0

Initial Comment:
version: Pd version 0.40.3-extended-20080721
os: vista

problem: selecting a box on the canvas (message, object whatever) appears to have the z-axis the wrong way around. - if I place two boxes on top of each other then click to select the top one it actually selects the box underneath.

This is more frustrating than it sounds, because after every copy-paste operation (especially with large groups of boxes) I attempt to move the items I have pasted and ruin my tidy layout from before - or worse still - not see that the boxes are selected (because the highlight is hidden) and end up with a big tangle of wires.

Sorry if I've got the protocol wrong for reporting bugs, please e-mail if you need more info petemcpartlan at yahoo dot co dot uk,

Date: 2009-03-18 18:53

Message:
This Tracker item was closed automatically by the system. It was
previously set to a Pending status, and the original submitter
did not respond within 14 days (the time period specified by
the administrator of this Tracker).

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2009-02-04 05:10

Message:
This should be fixed in Pd-vanilla and Pd-extended 0.41.4 (there are
currnetly only test builds)

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Date: 2008-12-02 22:41

Message:
Actually this reverse z-ordering is considered a feature not a bug by many,
because it allows some neat tricks like hiding a clickable GUI-bang behind
a canvas object that doesn't receive clicks. Changint the behaviour would
break all patches that use this feature. (I have several of them, e.g.
ezmenu.pd from http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-list@iem.at/msg14209.html)

If you do the copy-paste operation with Ctl-D (for duplicate) instead of
"Ctl-C Ctl-V" then Pd already shifts the duplicated objects some pixels
away so you should see the highlights just fine. (You may stilll miss them
when clicking, but multi-level undo would be a different feature wish)

Frank Barknecht (who's to lazy to log in...)