[PD-dev] [declare -distro vanilla]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 19 01:23:19 CET 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:06 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Then there could be also something like a 'maxmsp' distro for a
>> compatibility mode.  So I was thinking there could be a "#X declare
>> -distro vanilla" that each distro saves into every file.  It would
>> be safely ignored for Pd versions that didn't support the -distro
>> flag.
>
> what would e.g. Pd-vanilla that supported a "-distro" flag do if it
> encountered a [declare -distro maxmsp]?

That would be up to Miller.  Ignoring it would be one possibility.

> furthermore: i don't think that it is good design to have [declare]
> accept _any_ arguments and ignore them at will (e.g. if it decides
> to not support "-distro", then it could either explicitely ignore "-
> distro" or accept any argument and only use those that it knows about.

I am not sure I follow what you are asking. The behavior of this would
be dependent on the distro.  So someone could quietly ignore all -
distro flags, they could through warnings or errors, or do a little
dance.

>> This distro flag would then setup the canvas-local namespace with
>> the libraries as they are loaded for that distro.
>

> in general, i think the idea tobe able to load named library-bundles
> is not such a bad idea.
> i imagine it (right now; but this could be total nonsense) to load
> snippets of preference-files (that are stored somewhere in the path).
>
> e.g.
> <snip>
> % cat ~/.pd/moko.prefs
> path: ~/pd/mokolib
> stdlib: rjdj
>
> </snip>
>
> and using [declare -loadbundle moko] would then add the path and lib
> to the canvas-local namespace.
>
> gmsft
> IOhannes

I think that there should be some distro file format that could be
placed in a folder to be installed and used.  That way people could
freely create and distribution their own.

I am thinking this isn't like a library, I think there would only be a
handful of distros defined.  I don't think this functionality would
work so well with many, many distros but perhaps.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.