[PD-dev] [declare -distro vanilla]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Mar 19 10:26:46 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:06 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Then there could be also something like a 'maxmsp' distro for a
>>> compatibility mode.  So I was thinking there could be a "#X declare
>>> -distro vanilla" that each distro saves into every file.  It would be
>>> safely ignored for Pd versions that didn't support the -distro flag.
>>
>> what would e.g. Pd-vanilla that supported a "-distro" flag do if it
>> encountered a [declare -distro maxmsp]?
>
> That would be up to Miller.  Ignoring it would be one possibility.

ok.
so what would Pd-extended do if it encountered a
[declare -distro puredata]
since this is up to you, what would you actually do? ignore it as well?

and if so, what would be the purpose of this little exercise?

>> furthermore: i don't think that it is good design to have [declare]
>> accept _any_ arguments and ignore them at will (e.g. if it decides to
>> not support "-distro", then it could either explicitely ignore
>> "-distro" or accept any argument and only use those that it knows about.
>
> I am not sure I follow what you are asking. The behavior of this would
> be dependent on the distro.  So someone could quietly ignore all -distro
> flags, they could through warnings or errors, or do a little dance.

i was not asking for something.

but i thought the idea of this would be to make projects more portable,
rather than generate error messages.

>>> This distro flag would then setup the canvas-local namespace with the
>>> libraries as they are loaded for that distro.
>>

>> in general, i think the idea tobe able to load named library-bundles
>> is not such a bad idea.

this should have read: "in general, i think the idea tobe able to load
named library-bundles is not a good idea."

though now i am not so sure about this anymore. if the only purpose of
my suggestion was to have a named shorthand for loading libraries in a
specific way, then it is rather useless.
it should be possible to do this with [declare] as it is now.
the benefit for having a single shortcut for a collection of libs seems
to be rather small.

> I think that there should be some distro file format that could be
> placed in a folder to be installed and used.  That way people could
> freely create and distribution their own.

what exactly do you mean with "distro"?
is it the collection of objects it comes with?
does it include modifications to the Pd-core as well?

> I am thinking this isn't like a library, I think there would only be a
> handful of distros defined.

hmm, do i understand it correctly that by "a handful distros defined"
you mean a fixed enumeration?
i'm rather glad that Pd has an open plugin-concept, and miller did not
decide a one time that [expr], [fiddle~] and [bonk~] were enough.
(but then there would be no problems with nameclashes and distros and such)

just kidding of course.

but anyhow, how does it relate to "people could freely create"?

> I don't think this functionality would work
> so well with many, many distros but perhaps.

if it does not work so well, then it's probably badly designed.
so let's improve it's desgin.

and imagine: nameclashing distros!

fgamdsr
IOhannes