[PD-dev] pd-ext auto builds..

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 23 09:25:48 CET 2009

hi.

i put this on pd-dev.

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> But if you really want to completely take over the build system from me,
> then I'd have no complaints.  :)

actually i do.

scons is a nice, widely used, cross-platform and open build system.
a few years ago somebody has done the work to sconsify the entire
build-system in the repository.
the only reminders of this attempt are stray sconstructs/sconscripts
shattered throughout the source tree, most (if not none) of them not
working.

i would prefer this not happening again.

however, i understand that it was a bad idea to put "only make and
nothing but make" into the project description.
i should have simply amde my point clear once the project was accepted.

 > I've never heard of cmake, so I can't say I have any objections.

i have inherited a cmake-based project once and the build-system was
nothing but a pain in the arse (of course with me not wanting to learn
cmake).

 > configure and make have the advantage of being widely used.  Mostly, Pd
 > externals don't even need much more than a basic makefile, so I think
 > that simpler is better.

i am with you.

finally my not so secret plan for world domination was always about
re-using the existing build-systems for externals (if an external
already provided one), as this is the one that will be maintained as
long as an external is maintained.
i have very strong feelings about this.

using cmake, scons or whatever seems a bit of an overkill for
recursively calling "make" :-)

fmgas.dr
IOhannes