[PD-dev] Externals with interdependancies

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 24 01:13:43 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> Well, I was searching through the sources, and I think I might have
> figured out what MAY be happening. It seems that the full error is
> consistency check failed: atom_string

ah sorry, you mentioned it in another email, but I saw it too late.

> Is it safe to assume that the name of the function that produces this
> error is the string just after the colon? In this case, "atom_string"?

Fairly so, but that string is explicitly written at every use of bug(), so
it's not typo-proof (think about copy-paste...). For example, if it says
"consistency check failed: canvas_undo", you don't know because
canvas_redo misreports itself as canvas_undo. This is why I love macros.

However, in this case, there's only one bug("atom_string"), so you know
which one it is.

Check whether you might be printing any uninitialised atoms... including
memory that has been cleared with zeroes, as this is invalid in Pd. Also,
setting an .a_w.w_ field does not in itself set the .a_type field, and I
suppose that it's a common possible mistake to forget this.