[PD-dev] autotools for pd-devel

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Mar 28 19:23:09 CET 2009

Ok, so here is where I got:

- working Pd on GNU/Linux and Mac OS X with "./autogen.sh && ./
configure && make"
- working build with ./configure --enable-jack (not tested tho)
- no more 'bin' and 'obj' folders, .tcl files are using in place

This is what I have not yet done:
- fully complete 'make install' with Tcl files and all
- make autotools for pd/extra, it just calls the old one
- functioning "make dist", due to old extra makefiles
- mingw/cygwin build (it should be close, I am just out of time, any
volunteers?)

The really nice thing is proper dependency tracking, so you can rely
on doing this to catch all things that need to be rebuilt:

cd pd/src; make && ./pd

Give it a whirl and see if it works for you:

cd branches/pd-devel/0.41.4/
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
cd src
./pd

.hc

On Mar 28, 2009, at 12:36 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I don't think there needs to be many levels, so hopefully it won't
> be too recursive.  I think we should encourage flatness for the sake
> of simplicity, etc. Something like this:
>
> Pd-extended build
> while section builds (pd, externals, etc)
> individual lib builds (zexy, cyclone, etc.)
>
> .hc
>

> On Mar 27, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Bryan Jurish wrote:
>
>> moin Hans, moin all,
>>
>> yes!  (that is: yes, autotools are weird; yes, autotools are not so
>> bad;
>> yes, I think they could be used for the whole build system; and
>> yes, I'm
>> interested)  One thing to watch out for with big recursive auotools
>> projects would be outrageous costs for re-generating (autoreconf)
>> rsp.
>> re-configuring (./configure) the whole build tree.
>>
>> wow... who'd've thunk jury duty could be so productive?
>>
>> marmosets,
>> 	Bryan
>>
>> On 2009-03-27 13:48:27, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
>> appears to
>> have written:
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I had to do jury duty on Wednesday, and they had free wifi while we
>>> waited, so for some reason that inspired me to try writing a
>>> complete
>>> autotools build system for Pd-devel.  It builds Pd now, but there
>>> are
>>> some issues with the sound APIs that need to be sorted out.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate feedback from anyone who is interested.  After
>>> this
>>> experience, I am thinking that autotools are weird, but not so
>>> bad.  I
>>> think that we should use them for the whole build system.
>>
>> --
>> Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more
>> bug."
>> jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic
>> Entomology

> News is what people want to keep hidden and everything else is
> publicity.          - Bill Moyers

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic