[PD-dev] Pd C source prefix conventions?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 12 01:34:30 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> I'm a wee bit embarrassed to have to ask after all this time, but: does
> anyone have any quick guidelines and/or mnemonics for the prefix
> conventions of the Pd sources?  My intuitions say something like:
> d_*  : DSP stuff
> g_*  : GUI stuff
> m_*  : ?
> s_*  : "system" stuff (?)
> x_*  : ?

from src/CHANGELOG.txt (funny place for stuffing coding standards):

   s    system interface
   m    message system
   g    graphics stuff
   d    DSP objects
   x    control objects
   z    other
   t    TK front end

So it's "x" as in "control" and "z" as in "other". But because of my
nationality i'm familiar with names ending in "lx", so "controlx" makes
almost as much sense as "otherz".

Well, actually, "s" stands for "miscellaneous", which doesn't start with
an "s", but just like "nietzsche" it has "s" in it.