[PD-dev] moocow: svn and compilation issues

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 9 01:35:53 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 21:28 +0200, Bryan Jurish wrote:
> moin Roman,
>
> On 2009-04-06 20:55:10, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> appears to
> have written:
> > hi all, hi bryan
> >
> > i tried to compile pdstring from moocow from a fresh svn checkout and
> > encountered some issues.
> >
> > - moocow/autoreconf.sh
> >  when invoked from shell, it gives the error:
> >
> > ../autoreconf.sh: 3: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> >
> > i guess, that is because it is using the wrong shebang. it runs fine,
> > when the shebang calls bash and not sh, like:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
>
> You're probably right and autoreconf should call bash rather than sh.
>
> That said, you shouldn't need to call autoreconf.sh (or any
> package-local autogen.sh, which serves the same purpose) yourself at all
> these days.  Those scripts are meant to be maintainer-only.
>
> > - moocow/pdstring/
> > don't know exactly, if that is intended or not, but there seems to be a
> > confusion with autogenerated files and files checked out from svn.
>
> Yup.
>
> > my
> > instinct tells me, that files, that are generated by some other scripts
> > shouldn't be checked into the repository: when i call './autogen.sh', it
> > will create some files.
>
> My instinct (and aesthetics) tell me the same thing.  Nonetheless,
> checking the generated files (Makefile.in, config.h.in, configure ...)
> into svn is the only way I've found (to date) to get my externals
> auto-building nicely with the pd-extended build system.  Without going
> into all the gory details, the build farm machines are running so many
> different versions of automake and autoconf that it made more sense for
> me just to bite the bullet and check in the generated files.  It ain't
> pretty, but that's how it is.
>
> > now, when i later run an 'svn update', in the meanwhile those files
> > might have changed in the repository, and svn doesn't want to overwrite
> > the ones, that were generated by the script.
>
> Yup.  Which is why you probably shouldn't be running autoreconf.sh
> yourself, unless you really *are* mucking about with configure.ac,
> Makefile.am and the like.  I suppose I probably ought to update the
> README to reflect this ;-)
>
> > i am not able to exactly describe what happened, but i just poked around
> > a bit and then it worked. i cannot exactly recall all the commands i
> > tried. anyway, i had to manually 'rm makefile* config*' followed by 'svn
> > update' in order to be able to compile pdstring without errors.
>
> I suspect you eventually ran ./svn-prepare.sh, which is the current Ugly
>  Hack which needs to run before things will build; all it really does is
> (ln -s ../common .); gory details on why it's required are lurking in
> the pd-dev archives.

thanks for the update..

ok, then. i will forget about the autoreconf scripts and company and use
only what is really needed. it's a (probably bad) habit of me trying to
do everything from the very beginning, like generating what is there to
be generated.

somehting like:

"don't touch  the 'autoreconf.sh' and 'svn-prepare.sh' scripts, unless
you know what you are doing"

in the readme would be cool, though

ciao
roman