[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-2030557 ] number2 labels ending with '%' cause PD crash

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 14 03:45:58 CEST 2009

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by eighthave
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478072&aid=2030557&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
>Category: puredata
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In a number2 atom, when a label ending with '%' (or '%_', as well) is used, right-clicking on the number2 box and selecting "Properties" will cause PD to crash.

I have not found any other characters that cause this, and it does not happen with regular number atoms.

pkstone at ucdavis.edu

Date: 2009-04-13 21:45

Message:
So it turns out that BSD's sprintf() isn't as fault-tolerant as GNU's.  It
was crashing on unescaped %, I guess it was trying to replace them and
failing miserably.  This patch fixes it by only running the first % pattern
thru the sprintf() then just copying the rest before sending it to
sys_gui();

Committed to Pd-extended 0.41.4, here's the commit:
http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data?view=rev&revision=11017

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2009-04-13 20:28

Message:
this happens on Mac OS X 10.5.6/Intel using Pd-vanilla 0.42-4 and Pd
version 0.41.4-extended-20090413.  Seems like GNU/Linux is not affected.

Comment By: Holger (waffenladen)
I did some checks and the properties don`t show up (no crash here, too) if
you:
 - take any iemgui-object
 - set the label to anything%
 - set the x offset to 0 (which is the default for vslider and number2)

If you change it to anything not zero, it works (again).

Tested on yesterday`s svn of pd-extended on Linux.

Comment By: Holger (waffenladen)
I did some checks and the properties don`t show up (no crash here, too) if
you:
 - take any iemgui-object
 - set the label to anything%
 - set the x offset to 0 (which is the default for vslider and number2)

If you change it to anything not zero, it works (again).

Tested on yesterday`s svn of pd-extended on Linux.

Comment By: Frank Barknecht (fbar)