[PD-dev] understanding canvas_objtext() in g_text.c

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Apr 17 12:49:57 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I am trying to track down the path of loading a new object.  Basically,
> where does a class name get tested to see if a .pd_linux needs to be
> loaded or not?  For example, if I type [drip], where does it look to see
> whether it needs to load drip.pd_linux?
>
> Right now, I am staring at the top of canvas_objtext() and not quite
> getting it.

hmm, do you want to know when exactly Pd decides whether it already has
the "drip" objectclass registered or whether it needs t invoke the
loader-mechanism?

an objectclass (or rather: it's name) is basically a method for the
"pd_objectmaker". if it has no method registered for "drip", then it
will fallback to it's anything-method (new_anything), which will call
the registered loaders and finally tries to open the "drip" as an
abstraction.

mfgasr
IOhannes