[PD-dev] error: maximum object loading depth 1000 reached

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Apr 18 04:18:22 CEST 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 6:28 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2009, at 8:01 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>> This is probably mostly for IOhannes.  IIRC, the code that causes
>>> the "error: maximum object loading depth 1000 reached" stuff was
>>> related to the hexloader.  Its checked into Pd-extended, but the
>>> hexloader isn't used in Pd-extended right now.
>>> Is there some other reason to include this patch?  Here's the
>>> original reference.
>>
>> well, it might be used for any sys_loader dealing with abstractions
>> (or rather: objects that include other objects).
>>
>> mfgf.drt
>> IOhannes
>

> That does sound useful indeed.  Are there any plans for such a
> loader in the near future?  I think we should try to keep Pd-
> extended as close to Pd-vanilla as possible, so I am thinking that
> we should remove patches that aren't being directly used, but then
> we can add them back in once they are being used.

IOhannes,

Mind if I remove this patch for this release?  I think that the 1000
line "already loaded" dump is currently too common, for whatever
reason, and since this functionality isn't currently in use, as far as
I know, I think it makes sense to keep this patch out until the whole
abstraction loader thing is figured out.

I am fine with adding it back in whenever its needed.

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup