[PD-dev] moocow: svn and compilation issues

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Apr 18 06:59:35 CEST 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 7:35 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 21:28 +0200, Bryan Jurish wrote:
>> moin Roman,
>>
>> On 2009-04-06 20:55:10, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> appears
>> have written:
>>> hi all, hi bryan
>>>
>>> i tried to compile pdstring from moocow from a fresh svn checkout
>>> and
>>> encountered some issues.
>>>
>>> - moocow/autoreconf.sh
>>> when invoked from shell, it gives the error:
>>>
>>> ../autoreconf.sh: 3: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>>>
>>> i guess, that is because it is using the wrong shebang. it runs
>>> fine,
>>> when the shebang calls bash and not sh, like:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> You're probably right and autoreconf should call bash rather than sh.
>>
>> That said, you shouldn't need to call autoreconf.sh (or any
>> package-local autogen.sh, which serves the same purpose) yourself
>> at all
>> these days.  Those scripts are meant to be maintainer-only.
>>
>>> - moocow/pdstring/
>>> don't know exactly, if that is intended or not, but there seems to
>>> be a
>>> confusion with autogenerated files and files checked out from svn.
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>>> my
>>> instinct tells me, that files, that are generated by some other
>>> scripts
>>> shouldn't be checked into the repository: when i call './
>>> autogen.sh', it
>>> will create some files.
>>
>> My instinct (and aesthetics) tell me the same thing.  Nonetheless,
>> checking the generated files (Makefile.in, config.h.in,
>> configure ...)
>> into svn is the only way I've found (to date) to get my externals
>> auto-building nicely with the pd-extended build system.  Without
>> going
>> into all the gory details, the build farm machines are running so
>> many
>> different versions of automake and autoconf that it made more sense
>> for
>> me just to bite the bullet and check in the generated files.  It
>> ain't
>> pretty, but that's how it is.
>>
>>> now, when i later run an 'svn update', in the meanwhile those files
>>> might have changed in the repository, and svn doesn't want to
>>> overwrite
>>> the ones, that were generated by the script.
>>
>> Yup.  Which is why you probably shouldn't be running autoreconf.sh
>> yourself, unless you really *are* mucking about with configure.ac,
>> Makefile.am and the like.  I suppose I probably ought to update the
>> README to reflect this ;-)
>>
>>> i am not able to exactly describe what happened, but i just poked
>>> around
>>> a bit and then it worked. i cannot exactly recall all the commands i
>>> tried. anyway, i had to manually 'rm makefile* config*' followed
>>> by 'svn
> [...]

The bad news is that it seems that my bad diagnosis led you on a wide
goose chase thru the pain of Windows development.  Apparently,
string2any and friends are still not getting built.  In fact all of
the 'moocow' is empty on Windows.  Here's the bug report:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2138593&group_id=55736&atid=478070

Part of the problem might be MinGW's very old version of autotools:
automake 1.7 and libtool 1.4, which is a big bummer.