[PD-dev] win32 build farm 'msys.exe' (WAS: symlinks render pdstring unbuildable on MinGW/Windows)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Apr 20 04:39:58 CEST 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 5:22 AM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> moin Hans,
>
> On 2009-04-18 06:57:53, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> appears to
> have written:
>>
>> The bad news is that it seems that my bad diagnosis led you on a wide
>> goose chase thru the pain of Windows development.
>
> It may or may not have been a bad diagnosis (although it certainly
> was a
> pain ;-) -- I still haven't verified the former, since I don't use (or
> understand) all of the auto-build scripts.  I'm still kinda hoping
> IOhannes might make some headway there...

You don't really need to understand the auto-build scripts, all that
needs to work is this:

cd pure-data/externals
make moocow
make moocow_install

But we really should replace my scripts with something like hudson or
builtbot:

https://hudson.dev.java.net/build.html
http://buildbot.net/

>> Apparently,
>> string2any and friends are still not getting built.  In fact all of
>> the
>> 'moocow' is empty on Windows.  Here's the bug report:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2138593&group_id=55736&atid=478070
>
> I noticed this too, and am currently trying to figure out exactly why.
> Actually, I didn't really expect any of my externals to build on
> windows
> currently, since I was missing test clauses for win32 in
> ax_pd_external.m4.  I've added the test clauses now, and at least
> win32
> on the build farm machine is getting properly recognized, but I'm
> getting a whole mess of other (stupid) errors which are preventing
> manual compilation:
>
> 'msys.bat' doesn't run on the autobuild machine from the cygwin
> shell I
> get when I ssh in: is this (easily) fixable?  I can run
> "/cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin/sh" manually, but it's not really useable as
> an interactive shell.  So far I've been explicitly calling "$MSYS_SH
> ./configure" to test, for MSYS_SH=/cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin/sh.exe
>
> I've tried manually prepending
> "/cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin:/cygdrive/c/MinGW/bin" to PATH, and that
> gets
> me all the mingw programs, but their compiled-in paths (e.g. include
> paths for gcc) are foobared, since cygwin's pseudo-filesystem doesn't
> jive with the msys one.  In particular, I'm getting:
>
> pddev at windowsxp-i386$ sh ./configure \
> 	--with-pd-include="/home/pd/auto-build/pd-extended/pd/src"
> checking for string.h... no
> configure: WARNING: could not find standard C headers -- things may
> get ugly
>
> ... similar problems with linker paths.  I've hacked this for now by
> setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS, and the updated version of pdstring
> seems
> to build ok.

I just documented a way to get the same MSYS shell used by the
builds.  You need rdesktop, for better or worse:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/WindowsXPI386

But then I succeeded in locking all accounts out from network
logins... DOH!  I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

>> Part of the problem might be MinGW's very old version of autotools:
>> automake 1.7 and libtool 1.4, which is a big bummer.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem, since I've been storing autoconf-
> generated
> stuff in svn anyways, and calling AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to ensure that it
> doesn't get implicitly rebuilt.  See the thread "[PD-dev] moocow: svn
> and compilation issues" for more details.
>
> In a related question, should the auto-build process for the win32
> build-farm machine be trying to build everything from the LIB_TARGETS
> variable in externals/Makefile?  If so, then I must be being pretty
> dense, because I can't see where my builds are getting called (I see
> install calls, but no configuration or compilation), much less where
> they might be failing...

You are correct.  Search for 'moocow_install:' in externals/Makefile.
That's where its being called.

.hc

> [...]
>>>
>>> autotools support for use environment variables (CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS,
>>> etc.)
>>> is really handy too, e.g. for messing with optimization & debugging
>>> flags.  I wish every external build system would support these.
>>>
>>> That said, in some cases the code actually *does* require some
>>> platform-dependent initialization in ./configure.  [locale] for
>>> instance
>>> checks for definitions of all of the "LC_*" variables it supports,
>>> [flite] needs to know where to find the libflite include files, as
>>> well
>>> as how to link to libflite: this is exactly the kind of thing
>>> autoconf
>>> was made to handle, and which it does quite elegantly.

>>> If I were maintaining only 1 or 2 external packages (or a single
>>> global
>>> build system ;-), I think I might tend to agree.  As it is, I
>>> think the
>>> autotools beat copy+paste Makefiles (which I still use a lot, e.g.
>>> for
>>> my LaTeX documents, which rarely need to be synchronized or
>>> updated once
>>> the paper has been written) hands down.  Are
>>> automake+autoconf+autoheader overkill for my externals?  Sure they
>>> are:
>>> I think this is demonstrated pretty well by the fact that
>>> [sprinkler]
>>> and [pdstring] built for years in what became flatspace/ with 2-
>>> liner C
>>> files to the tune of:
>>>
>>> #define PACKAGE_VERISON "cvs"
>>> #include "../../moocow/sprinkler/sprinkler.c"
>>>
>>> Did flatspace builds get me 'make dist'?  Nope.  Did they get me
>>> 'make
>>> distcheck'?  No way.  Could I configure them for target systems to
>>> which
>>> I myself have no access simply by querying the availability of the
>>> relevant C libraries and includes?  Uh... yeah, right...  enough;
>>> I love
>>> externals/build rsp. flatspace and everything it's done for me,
>>> and I
>>> really don't want to start a flame war... I hope the windoof
>>> builds work
>>> now (though I am still curious about that apparent rsync bug)...
>>>
>>> marmosets,
>>>   Bryan
>>>
>>> --Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more
>>> bug."
>>> jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic
>>> Entomology

>> I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
>> during
>> that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for
>> Big
>> Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley
>> Butler
>>

> --
> Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White