[PD-dev] proper debs (pure:dyne+pd-extended = good)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Apr 25 18:48:38 CEST 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Apr 21, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
>>> Hi Hans, all,
>>>
>>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The key here is to make sure that the library packages can work
>> with separate versions of pd.  Something like 'puredata' and 'pd-
>> extended' which both provide 'pd' but can coexist.
>
> Sure, that's possible with Debian packaging.
>
>> That means the libraries should probably be installed into a
>> standardized shared location, so maybe instead of /usr/lib/pd, use /
>> usr/lib/pd-externals, which would match ~/pd-externals/ and /usr/
>> local/lib/pd-externals for user-installed stuff.
>
> WTF??  This is exactly the kind of pointless disruptive change that I
> was arguing strongly against here:

Could you illustrate the disruption?  ~/pd-externals/ and /usr/local/
lib/pd-externals (and their equivalent for each platform) was included
starting in Pd-extended 0.40.3 and it works very well to have a
standard location for user-installed files.  Having a standard
location means we can have clear documentation as well as other
benefits.  Ideally, all versions of Pd would use the same locations to
avoid disruptions and confusion, so I submitted a patch to Miller for
this.

How then do you propose to support installing externals for multiple
'pd' packages?  The 'extra' folder is really tied to a given version
of Pd.  Its one thing to complain about the 'pd-externals' idea, but
its just a complaint unless you propose a solution, or at least
describe the problems with it.  I think that most packagers actually
make many such changes to fit with Debian Policy.  This is a good
thing IMHO, it is one of the big strengths of Debian.

For example, a typical change that would also change the standard Pd
paths is installing the HTML docs into /usr/share/doc/puredata instead
of /usr/lib/pd/doc/1.manual.  I think a proper Debian package of Pd
should do this as well.  I think that many Debian packagers would
argue that no docs should be in /usr/lib/pd.  Plus following Debian
Policy, it should be /usr/lib/puredata anyway, since the package name
is used as the identifier as well.

I think we can easily manage such changes without disruptions with
some careful attention.

>>> our job as packagers (in the .deb sense) isn't to save
>>> the pd universe with some grand architecture, but simply to make
>>> packages available for users :)
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Also pd-extended's policy of splitting every library into tiny
>>> pieces solves one problem but causes others, so I think it was
>>> slightly premature to do the splitting until the other issues are
>>> fixed.
>
> [snip]
>
>> When you guys encounter problems with it, I would greatly
>> appreciate feedback so that those problems can be addressed.
>
> [>~] etc

Yes, I think though IOhannes' valiant efforts, we have learned that we
need to have a special case to deal with objects that include the
characters  < > / \ | * ? " :  (these are not supported all
filesystems). For those, they can be loaded from a single file.  I
think this could be supported in a nextgen libdir based on IOhannes'
idea for having a binary shared library that is loaded when the
library is loaded.  Then we can have a single folder that can have a
shared binary library for the external, the possibility to load
objects with < > / \ | * ? ", abstractions included in the same
library, and the help patches also included in the same library.

  As for characters that can be on the filesystem, but not in C
function names, I think we should just have a generic setup() function
for those, like Max/MSP does (tho there is called main()).

I tried to sum up the years of discussion and what I think is the
beginnings of a consensus for a solution in my PdCon paper.  I would
love feedback on it.

http://at.or.at/hans/Let's_Make_Libraries_-_PdCon3.pdf

> [snip]
>
>> With abstractions the situation is worse.  If you make your
>> abstraction called [threshold] and include it in the same folder as
>> your project.  Then you use a patch that uses smlib's [threshold]
>> and close it.  Reopen your patch and [threshold] will be the smlib
>> one, _not_ your threshold.pd.  Or say Miller adds [threshold] to Pd-
>> vanilla, same story, except there is no way to ever load your
>> threshold.pd, unless you stick into a folder and call it [myfolder/
>> threshold].
>
> Sure, but that's nothing to do with Debian packaging.
>
>> "Use it like it is because its like that" seems like surrender to me.
>
> We're talking about packaging for Debian, not saving the world in one
> jump.  When the issues are improved (by the upstream authors), they
> make
> a new upstream release, then the packager can update the Debian
> package.

The decision as a pd externals packager is which library format to use
for externals which have more than one feasible format.  That's where
this comes into the packaging discussion.

>> When you link libraries into one file, then you cannot address any
>> of these name conflicts.
>
> True, but [>~]
>
>> A big part of these problems with Pd-extended comes from having so
>> many libraries loaded by default.  I think that none of the
>> libraries should be loaded by default, I am guessing that's how
>> pure:dyne does it.
>
> The live distribution has a ~/.pdrc that loads most things.

FYI:  Miller and others consider the .pdrc deprecated, so the package
should use .pdsettings, IMHO.  But that's not a big deal.  The Pd GUI
only uses .pdsettings.

>> Yes, this is a definitely something to think about.  These days, I
>> am thinking more and more that we should make it easy for people to
>> package and release libraries themselves, and make it really easy
>> to install libraries.  That's the first step.
>
> Yes.  We (as packagers) can only package what is there.
>
>> Once we have a whole bunch of Pd externals in SVN that are set up
>> with clean .deb building code, there will be lots of examples for
>> people to draw from when packaging their own libraries.
>
> You can use "apt-get source" to get some examples from the pure:dyne
> repositories already.
>
>>> Personally I'm not in favour of keeping debian/ folders in the
>>> same svn as the upstream source code, as they have rather
>>> orthogonal purposes.
>> If the aim is to make official debian packages, I think it makes
>> sense to maintain the debian/control, etc files in the main Pd
>> repo: pure-data SVN.
>
> Why?  The Pure-data repository is for Pure-data things, and Debian has
> its own infrastructure for Debian things.
>

> upstream authors (write externals)
> |
> | upstream source repository
> upstream maintainer (tidy up externals for release)
> |
> | upstream source release
> ------ upstream responsibility ends here
> debian maintainer (packages release for debian)
> ------ debian responsibility begins here
> |
> | debianized source release
> debian build system / repository (builds for debian users)
> |
> | debian packages
> user "aptitude install" (gets to enjoy the externals)

Here's how I see it, there are three general cases:

- Many of us are authors and packagers, so why separate the debian part?

- there are many authors who are not packagers but use Debian.  I
imagine that we could convince such authors to maintain the packaging
code once its setup.  debian/control and debian/rules are not hard to
read and edit once they are setup, so I think we could get many people
to maintain their own packages if the debian code was in the same place.

- Then for other situations I imagine it would often make more sense
to maintain the packaging code in a different repo.

.hc

> Thanks,
>

> Claude
> --