[PD-dev] pd -alsamidi attaches to all alsa midi devices on startup, annoying

Alex x37v.alex at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:54:58 CEST 2009

Hi.  When I use pd -alsamidi I've noticed recently [I think this is
new in more recent versions of PD] that PD connects itself too ALL the
other alsa midi inputs and outputs.  This is a major annoyance because
I often have to go in and remove all those connections except for the
ones that I want, which generally means I disconnect 8 or so
connections and leave 2.  The most annoying feature is that alsa has a
'midi through' port, that PD attaches its input and output to, so that
any midi message that PD sends is echoed back to PD.

I'm thinking that there should be a flag in PD to set up alsa-midi
connections, or maybe just a --midi-connect-all or something that
makes PD exhibit this behavior, but by default, as it did until
recently, it shouldn't make any midi connections.  Or, if the
consensus is that this default behavior is beneficial, there should at
least be a flag that disables this auto-connect behavior.

I haven't looked at the source yet but I will.  I am willing to tackle
this problem myself, I just figured I'd put it out there for a little
discussion before hand as my proposal is basically disabling a feature
and not adding a new one.

-Alex