[PD-dev] pd-cvs shall include diffs

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 12 11:19:58 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> The occasional >1meg emails from big commits are kind of a pain, like
> when doing an import or merge.  It was nice to have immediate access to
> scan the diffs for sure.   But the web interface to the diffs is a lot
> more useful.  Ideally, there would be a size cutoff for the diffs, like
> 50k or something.
>
> If you really want it, I can deal with it again...

no problem, i can deal with it as well :-)

as for the sizes: i guess i have pointed out in an earlier mail, that i
personally think, that source-files should not contain (excessive) data.
e.g. HRTFs (this was the main reason, wasn't it?) are _much_ better
stored in soundfiles than in header-files. inappropriate use should not
keep use from having features.

as for the pain: no one is obliged to subscribing to pd-cvs. those who
want to stay up-to-date on a short notice, can use IRC for that (i guess
there are some filtering options, where you can tell your client to just
display the cia-bot messages)

finally, if you opt to receive pd-cvs in non-digest mode, you can select
whether you want to receive emails of all topics, or only of topic
"autobuild" or only of topic "CVS".
since i don't know of anybody using this feature (iirc, it was a feature
request by tim), i don't know whether it actually works, so take care :-)

fmga,.sdr
IOhannes