[PD-dev] simple makefile template

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Jun 5 19:02:52 CEST 2009

Hey all,

So I quickly put together a simple Makefile for building libraries.
The idea here is to create a new template Makefile for Pd libs.  It
does not use autotools at all, most Pd objects don't need any of that.
For more complicated projects, we should make a autoconf template and
a automake/autoconf template.

- it works on all platforms (MinGW for Windows, but not Cygwin)
- it build as separate binaries
- it can build a single binary with all objects in it if there is a
'mylib.c' file
- it makes a libdir automatically
- it makes a tarball using 'make dist'
- it builds Universal on Mac OS X

You can see it in action in the 'ext13' and 'motex' libraries.  If
people like this, I think we should use this wherever appropriate.  It
should need little configuration or changes for people use in their
own libraries, and you can just type 'make' to build it on all
platforms.

publicity.          - Bill Moyers