[PD-dev] PureData/Gridflow/Camera

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 4 23:03:37 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, sisil mehta wrote:

> I have been trying to run the motion_detect.pd  and have been unable to
> configure the camera. I have installed v4l (format/videodetect.c).

That's actually format/videodev.c, but it isn't "v4l" itself, it's "v4l
support for gridflow". "v4l" refers to two protocols used by apps and
drivers to talk to each other.

> Does gridflow support any webcam? (i have a integrated Creative webcam
> on my laptop.) I read on a forum about some driver for the philips cam.
> How do i go about installing drivers for camera for gridflow?
> (i'm a newb...) (can i make any cam other than the philips one, which
> has drivers ,work?

Configure your camera as you would normally do on Linux. Then, if your
driver is V4L1-compatible, chances are that it will work on GridFlow.
If ever it's a V4L2-only driver, then try the trick Johannes talked about
and don't forget to tell us whether it worked and if not, what the problem
was!

> and usually from what source does gridflow get video?).

cameras, video files, picture files, ... though you can also generate
video from scratch as well (no source). for the cameras themselves,
gridflow supports V4L1 *and* FireWire-DC on Linux, and supports only the
QuickTime camera interface on OSX. Chances are that I'm adding V4L2 soon.
I forgot to mention FireWire-DC before (aka DC1394).