[PD-dev] new pd-devel feature: patches for file associations

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Aug 13 14:41:13 CEST 2009

So I fixed a couple bugs in Pd-devel and added a new feature which I'd
like feedback on:

I created a system for associating pd patches to file extensions and
created an example wav.pd for opening .WAVs.  Basically, create a
patch using the text "$FILENAME" for the filename should go, name it
after the file extension (i.e. wav.pd), then drop it into 'pd/
associations'.  On start-up, Pd will set up the associations for that
filetype.  When you then open a .wav in Pd, it will open wav.pd,
replace $FILENAME with the complete path, then create the patch  by
sending the contents of wav.pd to pd.

The next step would be to use this for drag-n-drop functionality, so
when you drop an associated file on a canvas (i.e. voice.wav), it
would copy-n-paste the contents of wav.pd to that canvas, with the
$FILENAME replacement.

Thoughts, objections, comments, improvements?

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.