[PD-dev] tooltips idea

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 17 01:56:27 CEST 2009

Hey,

So there has been a revived discussion of adding "tooltip" support to
inlets/outlets, based on Günter's old patch.  I think we should open
up the discussion again to see if we can come up with a solution that
Miller would accept.  I believe his original objection was based on
the fact that the patch added a record to the t_class struct.

So I was thinking that instead of storing the tooltip data in t_class,
it could be stored using a custom struct like t_inletdescription that
was then added to object's class.  Another possibility would be to add
it to the t_text/t_object struct which every object has.

I guess the advantage of putting it into t_class is that there would
only be one copy of it.  That makes sense since every instance should
need the same data.  Having it elsewhere would mean multiple copies of
the same data, AFAICT.

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque