[PD-dev] tooltips idea

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 18 00:48:56 CEST 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> A big problem with the tooltips, is that t_inlets aren't made into classes
>> the same way the t_objects are: most of the time, for a class of t_object,
>> there are no custom t_inlet classes, and instead one of the four basic
>> t_inlet classes are used. It makes the tooltip information shared for the
>> first inlet and non-shared for the rest. this is an irregularity that has
>> to be addressed somehow...
> Ok, I miss remembered.  It seems the original implementation attached the
> text to the t_inlet, and t_class was suggested as the preferred struct for
> that info.  It looks like Chris switched the implementation to use t_class.

If you read what I wrote at first, you'd realise that the original
implementation didn't use only t_inlet, and that Chris didn't change that.

> I started a dev wiki page to keep track of the info, please expand on
> this.

I already expanded on it on the pd-dev mailing-list today. Perhaps it will
be read by someone someday... Frankly, if you don't read it on pd-dev, you
won't read it on your wiki either.

> Like was mentioned at PdCon, this could be something like a Python PEP,
> or feature proposal.

If the PEP thing was only "mentioned" at PdCon, then it's not gonna
happen.