[PD-dev] getting rid of #/$ and sharptodollar()

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 18 02:06:35 CEST 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I'm hacking away on the array panel and generalized the panel stuff in
> the pd-gui and I ran into the sharptodollar() and mofo stuff in
> pdtk_array.  It seems there has got to be a better way to do this, like
> properly escaping the $ on the Tcl side so Pd handles it properly.  Can
> anyone think of a reason not to try this?

Since I started talking about this ~5 years ago, two things changed:

   1. in 2007.08.25, dd eliminated all of it and made it brace-proof,
      space-proof, backslash-proof, etc.

   2. in 0.40, pd aggravated the situation by starting to support $1$2 as a
      dollsym everywhere except iemgui, where it blows up:

          error: #1$2: argument number out of range