[PD-dev] denormals: svf, freeverb (was Re: [PD] bug in freeverb???)

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 17:52:03 CEST 2009

> as stated before in this thread, denormals can slow down
> the computation
> on the fpu. the problem is not as big, when compiling the
> binary to use
> the sse unit, though (btw, this is the default, when
> compiling for x86_64)

Indeed, but externals that run a little slow are better than those that crash PD in the middle of a performance! This is why I'm trying to find a way of fixing the externals that suffer from this.
moog~ is another!
Meanwhile, I've rolled back to the old svf~ external so that the metastudio drumsynths don't crash. I had a very successful gig last night as a result..

Who wrote the old svf~?

> pd devel_0_39 did also set the DAZ/FTZ flags, which affect
> the denormal
> handling on the sse unit, but that was never merged into
> vanilla pd

I see there's a new pd_devel branch. I should check it out.

Vest,
Ed