[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-2687764 ] pd-0.42 broken w/Tcl8.6 - interp->result

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 1 04:39:23 CEST 2009

Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by eighthave
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478072&aid=2687764&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: puredata
Group: bugfix

Initial Comment:
from tcl 8.6 direct access to field interp-result is not allowed anymore. you have to use Tcl_Get/SetObjResult.
patch fixes that

Date: 2009-08-31 22:39

Message:
Since the GUI code in the first 0.43 SVN commit comes from the GUI rewrite,
its pure Tcl, so no interps anymore.  Has anyone tested the new pure Tcl
code on 8.6?

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2009-03-25 18:48

Message:
any luck with pd-devel?  you don't even need tcl.h or tk.h to build it, it
doesn't use the Tcl C API at all, so I think it should work fine on Tcl/Tk
8.6.

Comment By: mescalinum (mescalinum)
Date: 2009-03-25 16:02

Message:
this issue it is just about Pd code that directly accesses a Tcl_Interp
field.

note that is perfectly legal in tcl 8.x to use Tcl_GetStringResult(interp)
rather than interp->result.

actually, if one upgrades to Tcl 8.6, can't compile Pd anymore.

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2009-03-15 15:49

Message:
since pd-vanilla 0.43 will most likely include the Tcl code from Pd-devel
0.41, I think it would be more likely that Tcl 8.6 support will happen with
that code.  Try testing pd-devel.

Also, since we are at it, Pd-vanilla doesn't work with Tcl/Tk 8.5 on Mac
OS X.  Pd doesn't even start, it just gives a "bus error".  I think there
are quite a few issues with the Tcl-C code in the Pd GUI, so I don't think
its worth trying to fix it.