[PD-dev] how to tell when a patch is finished loading

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Sep 2 17:19:39 CEST 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 2:30 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:
>
>> I don't think there's any existing way to do it--- time to design
>> some
>> appropriate hooks :)
>
> Actually at RjDj we would also appreciate a hook for telling the user
> when a "scene" has been fully loaded and displaying a kind of
> hourglass
> while the patch is still loading. Ideally this would also wait for
> the time
> objects like textfile or soundfiler take for loading their files.

Any ideas how this message "patch loaded" message should look like?
It should be something like the symbol "loaded" sent to the canvas's
receive symbol (i.e. [receive pd-mypatch.pd]).

It would be nice to have the status outlet on textfile, soundfiler,
etc. have more messages like that.  The problem is breaking backwards
compatibility.  I could seem them outputting "loaded" once they are
done.  But that case seems more like it should be in the object itself.

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli