[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-1654666 ] sending a cut message to an "invisible" subpatch makes crash

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 10 11:37:18 CEST 2009

hi

SourceForge.net wrote:
> Comment By: Miller Puckette (millerpuckette)
> Date: 2009-08-30 15:34
>
> Message:
> fixed this slightly differently.  (Hannes -- the vis/invis editor
> allocation and deallocation
> code is so complicated I'm afraid to try to enable "edits" on invis
> windows.  Instead I
> want to write a "delete-in-rectangle" message optimized for scripting.

speaking of this: scripting is not really fun if you have to depend on
the visible layout of a patch.
i guess "delete-in-rectangle" means that the user will have to specify
the rectangle in pixels, which means that
- it will break if the pixel-wise layout changes (e.g. because somebody
uses another fontsize)
- you cannot delete only one of overlapping objects

i suggest to use the object-id's instead, e.g. "delete 1" would delete
the 2nd object, regardless where it is.

something like here:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2171733&group_id=55736&atid=478072

i cannot think of many uses for the select/deselect mechanism apart from
deleting objects (right now, which doesn't mean so much), so i would
vote for
- delete <id>
- deletall

fgmasdr