[PD-dev] deb packages discussion

Anderson Goulart global at codekab.com
Mon Sep 21 07:19:32 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I am new to this list but met Hans and others at ISCL in Brazil a few weeks
ago. Maybe this subject was discussed earlier, and if so, please forgive me.

I was looking through pd-extended build farm, scripts and compilation stuff.
A good idea, actually, but difficult to maintain or distribute through many
maintainers, as debian project does. Going on this direction, I would like
to propose "a debian way" to package pd, abstractions and extra externals.
This intention is related to many AMD64 problems on installing, compiling
and using pd-extended. My sugestion is to use something like that:

puredata - puredata binaries and main documentation
puredata-dev - include files and libs
puredata-doc - extra documentation
puredata-ext-XX - package containing a single external
puredata-abs-XX - package containing a single abstraction
puredata-full - a metapackage with all packages in Depedencies list

Why do this?

1) You can build everything separetely. This prevents that one bug in one
package breaks all the building farm
2) Many people can manage packages in a distributed way and minimize Hans
work
3) We can put these packages on debian official repo if we follow debian
policy
4) Users does not have to install all externals/abstractions, as we have in
pd-extended
5) We separate pd-source from the extra stuff
6) We can build a simple manual to patch developers create her own packages
and distribute to users to install with an apt-get

I already started doing this with pd vanilla and one external (ff) to test
these ideas and it is working on AMD64.

http://ftp.sacix.org/sacix/pool/main/p/puredata/
http://ftp.sacix.org/sacix/pool/main/p/pd-ff/

what do you think about it?