[PD-dev] deb packages discussion

dmotd inaudible at simplesuperlativ.es
Mon Sep 21 16:59:15 CEST 2009

i guess i understand where you're coming from and
in some ways i think you are right, however
packaging debs is not as simple as it seems and
with the sheer size of the externals repo what you
are suggesting would get quite unmanageable.

for the record, i am currently working on a
slightly revised build system and part of the aim
of that is to modularize the building process, so
that assembling pd as a series of parts will
become easier and more configurable. automating a
set of debian rules would hopefully be a lot less
time consuming once this work is complete.

this may knock over a part of the problem, but
there are a lot of libraries that require less
generalized appoaches and need careful attention
from a packager (which can become a time consuming
role).

this is part of the reason why pd-extended is a
very successful package - it knocks out a lot of
the maintenance hastles by automating as much of
the build procedure as possible, and although as a
whole it is quite monalythic, the same set of
objects can be reliably assumed across each
platform (or in linux terms each variety of
distribution). it's not perfect but it makes sense
for most people - and many thanks to hans for
getting it this far (its a pretty thankless job).

perhaps what should be asked is what is required
from pd to make it a full featured language for
people to practically use it for whatver meets a
general set of needs? for many people what miller
packages as his own 'vanilla' set is all that is
required and everything else is extraneous. for a
lot of people with complex goals that just doesn't
cut it and extended is necessary to work beyond
pd's own limitations.

or pehaps pd could go down the path of perl/cpan,
php/pear etc, where extra non-base libs are housed
in a dedicated on demand server where users can
automagically fetch / compile and install extras
outside of the confines of a package manager.

or do you want there to be categorized libs for
different areas of programming, what should be
installed by default with the meta package, and
what happens to objects that don't neatly slot
into a category - or worse fulfil a number of
categories?

these are just a few arguments that i think are
stumbling blocks for your proposal. its not to say
that its a dumb idea, but perhaps a little
simplistic and something which has already met a
lot of conentious discussion on this and other
forums.

but if you care to go over some of your ideas with
a bit more detail we may find something
interesting to work with.
--
dmotd.