[PD-dev] deb packages discussion

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 22 17:52:22 CEST 2009

First off, just to be clear, I don't think anyone wants to keep the
big monolithic build system or the package.  Its a big hack/kludge
that is not maintainable going forward.  I answered some other random
questions below as well.

On Sep 21, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Anderson Goulart wrote:

> And there are some others key points:
>
> 1) make a single documentation teaching how developers can build or
> create their own packages

Yes!

> 2) remove "m_pd.h" from externals and use <m_pd.h> (why do I need to
> have PD source to compile my external? This should be installed as
> any other library and linked with -l option; the m_pd.h should be
> installed on /usr/include also)

sounds good

> 3) fix many build systems to work in any platafform (like adding -
> fPIC for AMD64 every time we need to compile on this plattaform is
> so anoying.. we can make it automatic or add something like --arch
> option)

sounds good

> 3.1) Some build systems use a variable to point where is the pd
> source. This is bizarre for me... let's make a pd shared library and
> link to it...

This is how it is done already on Windows.

> 4) distribute some files:
> .orig.tar.gz with the clean source to help others to create their
> own build (like ebuild on gentoo or slackpkg)
> .dsc and deb - debianized package

sounds good.

- One the libs are split into their own packages, 'pd-extended' could
then be a package like 'puredata' that provides 'pd'.  Perhaps there
would be a 'desiredata' package in the future that also provides
'pd'.  'pd-extended' could then require the standard libs, so that
installing Pd-extended on all platforms gives you the same libraries.

- It would be quite useful having each library have its own release
cycle and version number.

- the planetCCRMA packages are based on the Pd-extended build system
but just package things differently.

- Windows and Mac OS X builds would remain as one big package unless
there is a CPAN-type system developed for Pd.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith