[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2869073 ] display freeze

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 4 01:23:13 CEST 2009

Bugs item #2869073, was opened at 2009-09-28 14:20
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by matju
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=2869073&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I encounter recurrent blocking in the display, I mean the program continues to work normally but all the toggles, bangs, sliders don't move anymore. clicking on these objects still has effect but the display is not updated. I have no idea when the freeze happens, I don't find any relation with my configuration or certain operations, it doesn't happen often enough. My only supposition is that it has something to do with audio file reading (with readsf~) but it's really not sure.
I use Windows vista, with differents audio drivers, default chipset driver, asio4all, or an external audio interface driver. It happens sometimes even on my performance machine that is as clean as possible.
thanks for reading

Comment By: Mathieu Bouchard (matju)
Date: 2009-10-03 19:23

Message:
what it means is that there is something in the console code that makes the
display freeze. This can be either due to special characters that confuse
the protocol codecs between the two halves of the pd programme, or it can
be because there is too much data coming at the same time. beyond a certain
rate, the data accumulates in the client until it wants 100% CPU for just
dealing with the console, and from that point, the client gets slow at
accepting the server's data, so the data starts accumulating in the server
(in sys_guibuf), taking increasing amounts of RAM. When the server's RAM
can't expand anymore, the server explodes (and takes down the client), but
in the meanwhile, the client may look completely unresponsive.

Comment By: D.P. (denis97531)
Date: 2009-10-03 06:40

Message:
thanks matju.
without -stderr, it seems that I always finally manage to freeze the
display after a sufficient number of inputs via mouse or keyboard
(sometimes intensively for several minutes).
with -stderr, I still haven't manage to freeze the display. This doesn't
prove anything but it seems to work. Is there any rational explanation
about this? can anything be corrected?

Comment By: Mathieu Bouchard (matju)
Date: 2009-09-28 18:44

Message:
try again using the -stderr startup option (that is, no console) and see
whether it makes a difference.