[PD-dev] nightly builds for standalone libraries

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Oct 5 20:27:04 CEST 2009

I think it would be super useful to have nightly builds for standalone
libs, not only Pd-extended.  I think the easiest way to handle this
would be to have "make dist" be the interface.  Basically have a
script that has a listing of the libraries to build, then it would run
thru them and "make dist" then post the result.

Here are the ground rules as I see them for making a workable system:

- a script in scripts/autobuild that has the list of libs to built
- look in a folder named the same as the library in externals (i.e.
externals/mylibrary)
- if exists, call "./configure" in that folder
- call  "make dist" in that folder
- then uploads the resulting tarball, also named like the lib
(mylibrary-0.1.tar.bz2)

Allowing too many special cases will make things ugly fast, so I think
it makes sense to follow the autotools standard layout.

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic