[PD-dev] PD mime setup

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 6 05:13:14 CEST 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:46 PM, Justin Glenn Smith wrote:

> I would have sent this to the debian PD maintainer, but it appears the
> package is orphaned right now.
>
> If you the attached puredata.xml file into /usr/share/mime/packages/
> and
> then run 'sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime/packages' programs
> like rox-filer and nautilus will recognize the application/x-puredata
> mimetype, allowing the association of the files for point and click
> opening.

That would be a great thing to include.  There is a lot of that kind
of stuff included in the Pd-extended package that is distributed
outside of Debian/Ubuntu.  Please take a look at them and see if you
can see anything to improve.  You can see those files here:

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/packages/linux_make/

> I joined the list in order to forward this info, so please pardon me
> if
> this has already come up before. Is this something that would be
> good to
> include as an optional installable part of pd for those who use this
> mime update method?

Yeah, we need to iron out a grand plan before taking on the 'puredata'
package again.  There has been discussion, next we need motion. :)

> Also, I have embedded the expat xml parsing library into a pd external
> in order to import objects from svg documents edited in inkscape
> into pd
> structs, what would be the best way to share this with others once I
> get
> my code cleaned up enough for distribution? (

This sounds super useful if it will do general XML parsing.  Your idea
sounds quite cool too.  To start with, I think you should package it
as a libdir library and distribute it on puredata.info or wherever you
want.

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Libdir

.hc