[PD-dev] nightly builds for standalone libraries

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 6 17:21:41 CEST 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 7:50 AM, dmotd wrote:

> hi hans,
>
> yup this is a great idea and a feature of
> the template that i've already integrated into my
> revised buildsys
>
> a few questions:
>
> does autotools have a 'make dist' feature by
> default?

If you use automake, then yes.

> what is it that you want to package - the source
> with the binaries? or just the objects/help as they
> would be installed?

Whatever makes sense, certainly binaries, help patches, abstractions,
maybe source files too?  I don't have a clear plan, I just wanted to
get the conversation started.

> is the path of the package 'extra/mylib' or just
> 'mylib', or something more specific?

The library is contained in a folder called 'mylib', but it could be
installed anywhere in the path, preferrably in one of these folders:
http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files-with-pd-extended

> is a true nightly build really necessary as most
> of the libs in the repository don't get that much
> regular attention. would it be better to autobuild
> when theres been an actaul revision in the working
> folder or change to an object dependency?

Perhaps the think to do is to setup buildbot, and have it 'make dist'
whenever there is a change.  I think the key part is having an easy
way for people to get their code built on all platforms.

> should the libs be zipped in win32, dmg'd on osx and
> tar'gz/bz for linux? or do you have other conditions?

I think its fine just to .zip or .tar.gz on all platforms.  .dmg only
seems necessary for the .app.   .zip is supported everywhere and there
are no longer any patent problems IIRC.

.hc