[PD-dev] Tabbed Console plugin

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 22:37:33 CEST 2009

2009/10/12 <zmoelnig at iem.at>

> hmm, sorry to chime in, but shouln't the above example be either
> "x1: Walk the dog"
> or
> "Walk the dog"?
>
> no problems with or without prefixes here...
>

>>> Well, you'd lose the nice columns that form when the prefix is the  same
>>> on every line.
>>>

>>> Uh... right now i got no nice columns, no same prefix on each line,  only
>>> on the first line.
>>> My suggestion is exactly that, to put it on every line.
>>>

>> doh, yeah, sorry, I'd say all or one, or something to keep things in
>>  columns.
>>

> sure.
>
> one other thought:
> i haven't looked at the plugin so forgive my ignorance: but if i have a tab
> for each prefix, i don't see a compelling reason why you would want to
> display the prefix _at all_ (i thought "x1" would be the name of the tab; no
> reason the repeat it again and again)

Sorry the beginning of the thread is gone so i think we need to bring up the
original point once again.
The plugin eats what pd sends (from the "C side"). Pd always sends single
lines, which in case of list means lists chopped up to separate lines - only
the first having a prefix (if any). Again, this already happens at the C
side.
For the plugin it would be the most perfect to get more detailed message
structures from the C side, but that's out of question now. However, in
order not to mess up with chopped up lists, it would be favourable A) to
have the abovementioned prefix at the beginning of each chop of a list sent
to the console B) as you said, not to chop up lists at all but to output
them on a single line.
I was thinking for a while about this and I think it could not possibly
hurt/break anything to alter the way lists are output to the console. It may
be disturbing at the first time because we are used to the old way, but it
cannot really break anything, because, supposing a case when we are feeding
the console to another program, lists have been impossible to be recollected
from the output so far. With change A) or B) made at the C side, they could
be, however.

As for the plugin not to print the prefix... you're right!

Andras