[PD-dev] ATI + GridFlow + Gem + C++ + Linux = BOOM

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Oct 15 17:43:00 CEST 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Thanks for doing this. I just tried it with
>> Pd-0.42.5-extended-20091014-ubuntu-jaunty-i386.deb.
> cool (i guess you not only meant to say that you tried it, but also that
> the try was successfull)

Oh. Yes. But I didn't try it with the fglrx libGL. (see below)

>> It may still fail if any other extern (3DP, OSG, ...) ever links with
>> libGL before libstdc++, while being loaded before GEM or instead of GEM.
> yes. as a matter of fact, the ATI-drivers should be fixed.

In the end, it's not really an ATI-driver bug, because:

   1. i discovered the bug on my computer that has a non-ATI graphics card,
      and couldn't get rid of the bug afterwards. I don't know what I did.
      the Xorg driver is called "intel", not "fglrx". I won't reinstall the
      OS to see whether I still have the bug that way. The crash is still
      related to loading libGL in particular in that case.

   2. the root cause of the bug is always an incompatibility between
      different versions of gcc. there is no actual bug in the ATI source.
      there's nothing really wrong with ATI's source and makefiles. it's a
      GCC bug that propagated in ATI's binaries. Because I have the bug on
      my computer too, it also propagated into other binaries, it seems.
      But really, back then, it wasn't a bug yet, because the problem
      is one of forward-compatibility: the exception-system startup code of
      gcc 3.x has to support gcc 4.x, but doesn't, because of a change
      in gcc starting with 4.x...

that's the info i could get from researching on my computer, web/google,
and asking some people on IRC, and then putting everything together. but
i'm not Sherlock Holmes, so it's not elementary to me, and i'm not sure i
got everything right.