[PD-dev] Plugins Prefs plugin WAS: Tabbed Console plugin

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 00:54:16 CEST 2009

2009/10/15 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>

>  I have made a first shot on a plugin-selector plugin. Once loaded, it
>> appears in the Media/Preferences menu. Also attached a new version off the
>> tabbed console plugin. Comments are welcome.
>> BTW the gtklook plugin makes messagebox font quite big (compared to the
>> button's text) and there is no way to override it, unless i overwrite some
>> options which i'm not bold enough to do...
>>
>> Andras
>> <plugins-plugin.tcl><tabbed_console-plugin.tcl>
>>

> The plugins-plugin.tcl is a great idea!  The only problem is that plugins
> can be installed anywhere in the Pd path.  Check the load_startup_plugins
> proc in pd-gui.tcl.  I think you could make this work by just
> inserting/removing the 'disabled' folder in the path to the plugin itself.
>  Also, you'll need to check to make sure that the 'disabled' subfolder is
> there, and create it if not.

Yes actually i started out from that loop, it will be no problem to write up
what you suggest.
However it comes to my mind, can we invent a better way of en/disabling
plugins? "Disabled" folders all over the place, just for the plugins, would
not look nice... but whats really ugly is that when a plugin is moved from
its original location svn will restore it upon the next update. At least my
svn does.
Now i'm not sure what would be the best way; i wouldn't mess up the good old
.pdsettings, but i think if we want to follow the logic of pd, we still
might use a text file. But that has to be synchronised upon each startup.
>From another aspect - if a plugin is located elsewhere than /startup/
doesn't it mean that it is bundled with a library? In that case it may be
superfluous to en/disable it separately from the startup/libs list.

 Perhaps Pd should keep a list of the plugin files its loaded, or maybe
> there is another way to handle that.

I attached a version that works on Mac OS X, the prefs menu has a different
> name:
>
> .hc

Thanks!

PS gtklook is the one that makes fonts good on Gtk, and disabling it makes
them big. Sorry my SNR seems to be ~50%

Andras