[PD-dev] [flext] Fwd: fixing Flext for 64-bit?

Spencer Russell spencer.f.russell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 23:24:27 CEST 2009

Attached is a patch that should make flext buffer handling 64-bit compatible.

It adds new wrapper functions buffer::Peek(int index) and
buffer::Poke(int index, t_sample value) to access a buffer's data. New
externals should uses these instead of accessing the data array
directly, because with newer PDs that doesn't work. I've also updated
the buffer1 example to use the new API wrappers.

The issue is that arrays in PD are of type t_word, which is a union
that can contain a variety of data, including pointers. In 32-bit
architectures you can pretty much ignore that it's a union because
floats and pointers are the same size, but on 64-bit architectures
it's important to use the w_float member of the union to access stored
floats.

This patch shouldn't break any old externals unless they're used with
PD > 0.41 (but then they'd be broken, anyways). I don't have access to
an OS X machine or Max/MSP, so I've so far only tested this on 64-bit
linux/PD. YMMV.

Can someone explain to me why pd's arrays are arrays of t_word instead
of t_sample?

-s-