[PD-dev] pd.tk question

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 20:12:55 CET 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:24 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>
>  Hey Ivica,
>>>
>>> Just make it a global, that's the easiest.  Or use namespaces and
>>> namespace variables.
>>>
>>> .hc
>>>

>> I am not all that good with tk. Only learned what I had to to hack
>> together better version of pd.tk. Any examples would be most
>> appreciated. How do namespaces work?
>>
>> Also, after opening tons of windows that generate global variables,
>> doesn't this effectively produce a minor but nonetheless present memory
>> leak as the global variables will be hard to trace when deallocating
>> those windows (see my other email re: improvements)?
>>
>> Ico
>>

> Look at the new pd-gui-rewrite branch, it uses namespaces a fair amount.
>  They are a bit overcomplicated in Tcl, but you don't have to use the
> complicated parts.
>
> .hc

Hans, when you have a few minutes can you just sum up quickly how does it go
with namespaces? I've familiarized easy with everything else in the sources,
but i couldn't get namespaces do anything (thus my tabbed-console plugin
doesn't see the popupmode setting).

Btw, i would be happy to clean up pdtk_post as suggested by the comments,
but i have questions:
- "this should be switchable between Pd window and stderr": how do you
imagine this; a command line switch or from preferences...?
- you mentioned you would shift popupmode to a plugin, is it ok if i give it
a shot?

Andras