[PD-dev] namespaces for send/receive

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Nov 16 22:51:54 CET 2009

On Nov 16, 2009, at 3:10 PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Quoting "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <hans at at.or.at>:
>

>> I am in the process of working on my 'framesync' library, and I
>> just  had a thought that I am not sure has come up before.  Lots of
>> times,  we want to use send/receives in reusable code, but with a
>> global  namespace, there is the potential for nameclashes.  So I
>> propose that  for libraries, we make it a 'best practice' to use
>> the same namespace  prefix as you would for loading an object.
>>
>> For example, this 'framesync' library, I need to send the FPS
>> (Frames  Per Second) to all the objects, so it needs to be a global
>> send.  So  just like I could do [framesync/fstabplay~]  the
>> internal send/receive  would be [send framesync/fps] and [receive
>> framesync/fps].
>
> while you are there, i would propose to use "/foo/bar" rather than
> "foo/bar".
>
> while this doesn't fully match the [foo/bar] idiom for object-names,
> it does fit nicely into OSC.

Hmm, I guess that's a parallel.  I personally never use OSC, so I
don't see a reason to follow its syntax instead of Pd's syntax.  Since
the foo/bar syntax is already there, I think its best to stick with it
for Pd.  Then for people who use OSC, it would be an easy translation.

Plus wouldn't OSC namespaces follow the project rather than a
library?  I guess if you use OSC in a library, then it would follow
the library.

                                               http://at.or.at/hans/