[PD-dev] auto-starting loaders

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Nov 17 06:40:17 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> It would be super userful to have an easy way to make the various loaders
> auto-load (Lua, Tcl, libdir, etc).

I think it would be even more userful to have hexloader work for
abstractions.

> I was thinking we could do the same with with loaders.  So
> *-loader.pd_linux (or maybe *-loader.so) anywhere in the Pd path would
> be loaded at startup.

You just have to put every loader in the -lib section of your pdsettings
or pdrc. That's all.

> I'd really like to see more people using the pdlua, tclpd,

Yeah, one thing that always annoyed me was that although it's extremely
nice to have this support for a bunch of extra languages, there's scarcely
anything significant that has been released for pd, that uses those
languages. I mean, there are not many of those language libs that appear
to have any more users than the author himself. It may be a sign of how
those libs are used though: I suppose that they are more often used for
project-specific code than otherwise. But generally, I think that they are
underused.